The purpose of Laura's Homes NC is to provide residential group care for children/youth who may be homeless, abused, or neglected. This home would provide a secure, Christian environment for those who are placed in our care. Placing emphasis on teaching Christian morals and helping them to deal with their circumstances, giving special attention to families teaching them parenting skills working towards reunification.
Everyday the headlines are filled with acts of violence to children. Last year in North Carolina more than 24,000 children were confirmed victims of abuse & neglect. In Cleveland County we have approximately 192 children in foster care with manybeing sent out of the county as far away as Wilmington. Children face situations that we can hardly imagine.
We believe that God has given us the leadership to establish a Christian Group Home to help deal with the problem. This home gives a Christian environment of His love and nurturing to nine young people. God has given us the vision, but we can’t do this on our own. We need your help! Together we can make a DIFFERENCE in the lives of these young people.
I have seen through the last 20 years the many needs that children in foster care have. Over the years my parents have taken in and cared for over 300 children in their home. I have seen the abuse that many of the children have experienced. Most of them come from homes where the problems are because of bad choices made by their parents, mostly due to alcohol and drug abuse. Their parents who are unchurched and struggling…. searching themselves for a better life…. but through their own frustration, anger and disappointments they abuse, neglect or abandon their own children. So many times we are so busy with our own lives we don’tsee and really understand the many needs these children have here in Cleveland County. By Rita Scism
We have been very blessed and are incredibly thankful to those who support us and have allowed this dream to become a reality for many children!
Sandra's Home offers the following services:
- Safe, stable living accommodations
- Basic life-skill building, including consumer education and instruction in budgeting, the use of credit, housekeeping, menu planning, food preparation and parenting skills
- Interpersonal skill building, including enhancing young people’s abilities to establish positive relationships with peers and adults, make decisions and manage stress.
- Educational opportunities, such as post-secondary training and vocational education
- Assistance in job preparation and attainment, such as career counseling and job placement
- Education, information and counseling to prevent, treat and reduce substance abuse
- Physical health care, including routine physicals, health assessments and emergency treatment
Our transitional living program also incorporates positive youth development, the best way to prevent risky behavior is to help youth achieve their full potential. Youth development strategies focus on giving young people the chance to exercise leadership, build skills and become involved in their communities.